A traumatic brain injury (TBI) is a devastating, severe injury that might impact someone for the rest of their life – depending on the extent. Proving fault for a TBI might be difficult, which is why a victim should consider hiring an attorney.
An attorney that has experience with TBI claims will evaluate the injury, how it was caused, and fight for their client’s right to receive maximum compensation against the party responsible.
Why Hire a Bellingham Brain Injury Attorney?
It is imperative that you hire an attorney for a brain injury case. This is because:
You Need an Advocate
Anyone suffering from brain damage might experience moments of memory lapse, difficulty concentrating, or an inability to recall facts. An attorney with experience handling brain injury claims understands what you are going through, the trauma you have encountered, and common side effects to your condition.
They also ensure no one takes advantage of you. As your advocate, they negotiate with the insurance company and act in your best interest to prevent insurance companies from taking advantage of your situation.
Traumatic Brain Injuries Are Complex
Traumatic brain injuries are difficult because they include complicated medical issues and legal issues alike. With a personal injury case involving lacerations or broken bones, it is easier to identify the injuries. This is because you can see them physically, and the healing for those injuries is predictable. You know that, once the doctor sets the bone, it will have a cast and heal. The victim might require some physical rehabilitation to regain full strength, but it is unlikely a broken bone would cause long-term complications.
A brain injury is different. The effects of the injury are harder to treat or even predict. A medical professional will not be able to say for sure how well you recover – but will instead give their medical opinion.
Proving these cases, because the information is not as clear-cut, requires a team of medical and legal experts. These professionals work together to determine the injury occurred, the extent, and the compensation a victim deserves to recover from that injury.
The Cost of a TBI Case Is Extensive
TBI cases are not only complicated, but also costly. The fees for hiring the legal, scientific, financial, and medical experts, who are required to establish that you have a valid claim, add up quickly. An attorney covers these costs upfront so that you do not have to stress over it yourself. An attorney also might accept your case on a contingency basis, which means you do not pay if they do not recover compensation.
Calculating Damages Might Be Complicated
Depending on the prognosis, calculating damages for your case might be complicated. You must prove the amount of damages you deserve – not what you think you should be paid.
Damages for a TBI might include:
- Medical costs – including any estimated future medical expenses
- Lost wages or lower income
- Lost benefits from being unable to work
- Physical pain, emotional trauma, and mental anguish
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Permanent disability
Hiring the Right Attorney Is Key
After a severe injury, you want an attorney who will fight for you. An experienced attorney will help you navigate through the complicated legal issues your brain injury case might face, and they will explain to you your rights, the compensation you could receive, and help you explore your options.
To make sure you hire the right attorney, you may want to consider the following:
- Ask the Right Questions: Attorneys offer consultation appointments so that you can get to know them, and so that they can look over your case. This is the perfect opportunity to ask them questions and to make sure you are informed about the potential case. Ask about their experience with TBI claims specifically, how much they think your case is worth, and their contingency fee (along with other fees you might have).
- Meet the Entire Team: The attorney you meet with might not be the attorney you deal with daily. Ask to meet anyone you would be working with closely on the case so that you can make sure you are comfortable. Trial lawyers will have paralegals, secretaries, and other associates on their case, and you want to ensure the entire team has experience.
- Ask about Resources and Their Plan: Before you hire an attorney, ask about their resources and how they will cover the costs of your brain injury case. As we have stated, these cases can become quite expensive; therefore, you want to ensure your attorney will have the funds to cover the costs of expert witnesses, laboratories, and going to trial.
Meet with an Attorney Today
If you or someone in your family has suffered from a traumatic brain injury, you need an attorney to represent your case. Even if you are unsure whether filing a lawsuit is right for your situation or not, the attorneys at Brett McCandlis Brown & Conner, PLLC, can help.
We will meet with you for a free consultation to review your case, your losses, and your potential compensation.
We understand what you and your family are going through, and we want to help you recover from your injury and move on with your life. Our team has helped countless victims with traumatic brain injuries just like you.
To get started, schedule a free, no-obligation consultation at 206-488-1462. You can also ask us a question by filling out the online contact form.